Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Non Serviam


Non serviam, is a Latin phrase, spoken to God by the Devil whilst he was still an angel. It translates to “I will not serve” and displays the largest two fingered salute in the history of mankind. It’s saying it’s better to reign in Hell than it is to serve in Heaven.

Now. I don’t find it in any way at all to liken my current relationship with my language seminar closet, to that of the Devil and God in any way inappropriate. In fact, it’s entirely appropriate. English literature is a many wonderful thing. It soars and flies high above us, occasionally picking us up above all that are below, letting us live and see and feel things which we’d never thought possible before. However the study of language would declare this to be merely a consequence of convention and syntax. It angers me. It deeply offends me. I find the notion disguising. To pass of the fragility of Joyce or ferocity of Greene as merely being circumstance of a pre set out word set makes me want to rant endlessly at this closed minded little man.

Language seemingly accepts no answer but its own; that its idea is the only conceivable true path. I chose to stick to my books, hold my writers closely. I shan’t analyse them too closely though, they’re like rainbows, you get too close and they disappear and you’ll never see them the same way again.

So to you, Language studies. I say “non serviam.”

Listening to Patrick Watson. It’s like throwing together Jeff Buckley, St Peppers Beatles and the good parts of Rufus Wainwright. Sounds better than that alludes to.

Good day to you.

Me.

Whatever.

1 comment:

Jim Gillette said...

This post is a perfect example of why I like reading your blog.

Meanwhile my blog is all about PRO WRESTLING YEAH!